Wednesday, October 01, 2014

This week's Carnival of Homeschooling is up

This week's Carnival of Homeschooling is up at Notes From A Homeschooled Mom.

The carnival starts with:

-----------
Welcome to the 457th Edition of the Carnival of homeschooling! The theme this week is homeschool freedoms. For me, homeschooling was all about freedom, but probably not in the way you think. I will let the HSLDA to their job as they see it, and I will let the lobbyers lobby. I am most concerned about freedoms on a much smaller and individual scale, to raise and educate my kids in the way I thought best. 

 This is important to me because as a homeschooler, I still see a lot of group thinking. I don't really see a point in having the legal right to homeschool, only to check with everyone and their mother before deciding on a curriculum, event, or even a political stance. Homeschooling is an individual endeavor, and I believe that while input and opinions are nice, they are just that. We have to remember that as parents, WE ARE IN CHARGE. So during my homeschool years I was very careful to make sure I never answered to state guidelines, the school board, the principal, the teacher, homeschool organizations, homeschool groups, my parents, relatives, or even friends. I was able to give my children the attention they need as they needed it, and to educate them according to their learning styles and gifting. It has truly been a freeing experience.
-----------

Enjoy!


Carnival of Homeschooling

No comments: